SURF REPORT  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  FORUM  •  E-MAIL US
DELSURF.COM FORUM
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swellinfo or Surfline?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnyd-elaware
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Swellinfo or Surfline? Reply with quote

Who's more reliable? Is surfline worth the membership fee?

And please, refrain from the weather underground bs. We all know we check the surf forecast sites than put our wet finger in the air to determine if its worth going. We all justify that our forecasts are more accurate than the ones online when, in reality, we're all praying that we're right. Then we pat ourselves on the back, reciting in our head "what do those idiots at _______ know. I am a surf God and they are bean counters!" But for some reason, we never recite that when we get completely skunked relying on our personal algorythms for surf.

So whats better? Swellinfo or Surfline for preliminary checks?
drake drizzy surfer
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question johnny I have the surfline membership and alot is included 5 day forecast Lola 5-7-14 day outlook comes in handy to an you can see the cam for as long as you can!!! I Love surfline!!!!! Hate swellinfo!!!!!!
Goofy Footer
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Swellinfo but Mitchell provides a more accurate forecast but its always after he's gotten out of the water Very Happy
Mitchell
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe both Swellinfo and Surfline's LOLA base their swell modelling / surf forecast off the NOAA Wavewatch III model, which is in the public domain, and available for anyone to run it and tweak it which they both have.

I think for local mid atlantic breaks Swellinfo has done a better job relating the swell models to our shoreline configuration and forecasting surf conditions.

For example, a few years ago the OCMD and Delaware forecasts on Swellinfo were almost always the same, when in fact both steeply angled north and south swells are bigger in Maryland. (Delaware is shadowed by New Jersey in north winds swells, and by Maryland in south windswells). He has made a lot of these refinements to the swell models, and has made similar refinements for Jersey, VA and OBX, i'm pretty sure.

So I'd say Swellinfo is better and more reliable locally. As far as the rest of the world goes, no idea.

By the way, what is the "weather underground bs" we are supposed to refrain from?
drake drizzy surfer
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I check swellinfo on delaware its always 2ft smaller than oc and I dont get that at all why is that??? Then 1 minute on swellinfo its 2-3ft then its ankle high dont get that either??? But on surfline there forecast let you know what the low pressures are doing and there surf forecast dont change every 5 minutes!!!
Mitchell
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drake drizzy surfer wrote:
When I check swellinfo on delaware its always 2ft smaller than oc and I dont get that at all why is that???

Its a fact of life we have to deal with. Its frequently a lot smaller in Delaware than it is in OCMD and Assateague. The further north in Delaware you go the worse it is.

Northeast swells are blocked by New Jersey from hitting Delaware with much size north if Indian River, and i think we've all seen Cape Henlopen breaking at waist high on a solid NE swell when mid town OC or Assateague is head high.

South wind swell is can hit downtown OC with a glancing blow and be waist - stomach high while all of delaware is knee high. Hell, north OC can be knee high when downtown is stomach.

BTW, I thought Swellinfo only updated their forecast twice a day...like 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. It happens around here...a LOT.
drake drizzy surfer
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitchell on one of your posts you said swellinfo and surfline do swell modelling with LOLA then why is there surf reports not the same??? Example surfline forecast for this sunday is waist-stomach+ south swell cant wait for that!!! Then go check swellinfo for oc and it knee thigh high!!! Then im like what the hell were do these reports come from???
Mitchell
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitchell on one of your posts you said swellinfo and surfline do swell modelling with LOLA then why is there surf reports not the same??? Example surfline forecast for this sunday is waist-stomach+ south swell cant wait for that!!! Then go check swellinfo for oc and it knee thigh high!!! Then im like what the hell were do these reports come from???

I said I think they both use NOAA wavewatch III as the base model. I think both Surfline's LOLA model, and Swellinfo's model are based off the NOAA model.

My guess is since Sunday is a SW windswell (short period, glancing blow, heading out to sea), Swellino doesn't think much of the wave action will make it into the beach as ridable swell.
ODUsurfer
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural or fake breasts? That's the real question!!! Shocked
ODUsurfer
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Natural!!!!
drake drizzy surfer
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ODUsurfer wrote:
Natural or fake breasts? That's the real question!!! Shocked
what does that have to do with anything lmao!!!!
ODUsurfer
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That son ... Is a long debated question.
drake drizzy surfer
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odu agree........
johnnyd-elaware
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the actual "weather underground" site, but the bs of using some sort of website that no one else knows of or talks about. I watch these arguements on swaylocks(not necessarily about forecasts) and other sites, and these guys pull this crap outta their pocket to make themselves seem more knowledgable and less kooky. That always annoys me. like the guy who always "heard and was a fan of that band before anyone even knew of them". that mentality.
Mitchell
Gerry Lopez Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example surfline forecast for this sunday is waist-stomach+ south swell cant wait for that!!! Then go check swellinfo for oc and it knee thigh high!!!

Looks like a win for Swellinfo!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    delsurf.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: