SURF REPORT  •  PHOTOS  •  VIDEOS  •  FORUM  •  E-MAIL US
DELSURF.COM FORUM
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peru Pics - Just got back

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitchell
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Peru Pics - Just got back Reply with quote

Chicama, Peru area. We caught the very tail end of a small swell for the first day or so, then got mired in smallness (waist high barely surfable on a shortboard) for 5 or so days, then the last three days a more significant swell arrived...chest - head - a bit overhead. The quality of the wave is amazing but its kind of a novelty of a soft endless mechanical left point. There were waves where I felt like I was doing the EXACT same figure 8 turns about a dozen times or more. The food was amazing whether you ate in the expensive place we stayed at, or at a cheap hole in the wall (everything there is a hole in the wall...if there is even a wall to begin with)

There's a lot to like about the place, but a lot to dislike. The town is just a dusty fishing village with nothing much to do when you aren't surfing. (There are some very cool desert/cliff trails to hike).The main issue is the way the surf tourism has whored out the beautiful wave with a bunch of boats buzzing lazy longboarders and SUP-riders back out to the top of the point after every ride. George and I passed on that service (along with plenty of others), and it sucked paddling 15 minutes to get yourself into position (the current was pretty decent rushing down the point always pulling you away from the outside takeoff area) at the outside along with maybe 5 others who could have just taken turns on the next set only to have two boats dump 10 guys with fresh arms right into an oncoming set. Even worse there was a sort of class system in effect, where the boat drivers tried hard to make sure their paying customers got a many waves as possible, and (at least one driver) was openly hostile to the paddling surfers and ALL of the boat drivers were inconsiderate thinking nothing about throwing wake through a set getting their customers into position for the next set. There was a lot of hassling and bitching going on for a spot that could easily have accommodated 40 surfers if it weren't for the machine intervention. During the midday when the boats took a three hour break, I repeatedly caught it with less than 10 people out, really fun, and everyone was cool to one another. Winds were only a factor for a few hours in the mid-late afternoon and even then not a big deal.

Glad I went, wont be going back.

Goofy Footer
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A goofy footers dream, all those long lefts ..........

Thanks for sharing
skegleg
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange mix of getting some of the longest waves I have ever caught, mixed with the rewarding feeling of negotiating a hell of a walk / rock dance / positioning & paddling treadmill, combined with and the worst time I have ever had on a surf trip.

The place really is a novelty kookfest that represents everything that is wrong with surfing.....at the same time, remove the bullshit and you have an absolutely amazing wave and experience. Really a shame to see.
oipaul
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics as always! Sorry it didn't live up to expectations but at least you got some fun waves. You don't know unless you go... Very Happy
beeps
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those waves look fun, perfect for a guy who hates surfing backside and needs to work on it. I have to say once you guys were there and I was home watching through texts I was wishing I was there with you.
apex18
Local

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solid report and pics - always valuable when planning for new trips / places
LuvinSummer25
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow on the pics and thanks for the candid report, sad but good to know!
Mitchell
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short video edit...shot from about 300 feet above the wave from the clifftop. Kind of makes the wave look a bit mushier than it was, but maybe not that much.

It cracks me up that by coincidence every surfer I captured is a goofy foot, except the one guy dropping in on someone.

http://vimeo.com/222914855
chuck white
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice post Mitchell. Sounds like a adventure bucket list trip to check off & a little like foreign Northside.

No.6 Bodyboards
skegleg
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morocco this January Mike, guaranteed score Laughing
oipaul
Surf Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no indo boat trip? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    delsurf.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: